Free School Meals Entitlement
Your child qualifies for free school meals if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (as long as you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit Run-On (paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit
If your child is entitled to FSM entitlement they would then be entitled to £2.40 per day to spend in our canteen on either hot or cold food. Due to the cashless catering system we use there is no identifying feature for FSM students removing any concern around a perceived stigma. £2.40 per day adds up to a significant saving of money each academic year. Even if your child brings packed lunch, and you would prefer to continue to do that, there is still a benefit to applying for FSM as your child would always then have additional money available on their account for emergency use. There is also an additional benefit to the Academy which I will outline in the section on “Pupil Premium” on the reverse of this letter.
If you think your child may be entitled to FSM then you can apply by either:
- Applying online to Bristol City Council using this link Bristol Gov – Free School Meals Using this method you get an instant decision.
- Complete a paper-based application and return to Bristol City Council. The application form can be found on our website: Free School Meal Application Form
- Come in to the Academy Reception during term time Monday to Thursday between 8.00am – 4.30pm and Friday between 8am – 4pm. Staff can help you complete the form and check your entitlement. Please bring current evidence of one of the listed reasons for FSM entitlement.